BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (April 21, 2021) – Terri-June Granger of the Auburn equestrian team and Rankin Woley of the Tiger baseball squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Auburn University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2021 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on May 18.
Highlights of Auburn’s nominees include:
TERRI-JUNE GRANGER, Auburn, Equestrian
Major: Exercise Science
- Graduated in the Fall of 2020 with Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science, finishing with a 3.9 cumulative GPA
- Working towards a Master of Exercise Science with the College of Education
- Three-time National Collegiate Equestrian Association (NCEA) First Team All-Academic honoree
- Spring SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020
- First-Year SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2017-18
- Five-time member of the Dean’s List
- Two-time NCEA First Team All-American in Reining, 2018, 2020
- A major contributor to Auburn’s three-straight SEC titles (2019, 2020, 2021), having competed in every meet since her freshman season
- Played a major part in Auburn’s back-to-back NCEA national championships, 2018, 2019
- Helped the Tigers win the 2018 NCEA Western national crown
- SEC Reining Rider of the Year, 2020
- SEC Reining Freshman Rider of the Year, 2018
- All-SEC, 2018, 2020
- Multiple SEC Reining Rider of the Month honors
- Numerous Most Outstanding Performer honors throughout her career, awarded to the best competitor in each event in each meet
- Holds the program’s record in reining single season wins with 13 in 2018
RANKIN WOLEY, Auburn, Baseball
Major: Business Administration
- SEC Baseball Scholar-Athlete of the Year, 2020
- CoSIDA Academic All-America, 2020
- Became the second player in program history to be named All-America and Academic All-America in the same season (Casey Dunn, 1999)
- Graduated summa cum laude with a 3.92 GPA in 2020, earning his bachelor’s degree in Business Administration
- Currently taking classes to prepare for medical school
- Named 2020 Collegiate Baseball Third Team All-America after being the only player in the country to rank in the top 20 in hits (28), doubles (8) and RBI (22)
- Preseason First Team All-SEC, 2021
- NCBWA Second Team Preseason All-America and Collegiate Baseball Third Team Preseason All-America, 2021
- Named a candidate for the 2021 Senior CLASS Award for having notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition
- A starter at third base this season, leading the team in doubles (9) and ranking third in average (.311)
- Turned in a 12-game hit streak earlier this season, marking Auburn’s longest hit streak since 2017
The SEC provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were LSU men’s basketball member Skylar Mays and Kentucky swimmer Asia Seidt.